How Influencers are Using Their Platforms to Bring Attention to Social Issues
In recent years, the use of influencers in marketing has grown significantly, with companies relying on popular individuals on social media to promote their products and services.
However, beyond their role as brand ambassadors, influencers are increasingly playing a role in shaping social issues, using their platforms to raise awareness and advocate for change.
One of the most significant ways influencers shape social issues is by raising awareness about underrepresented communities and causes. For example, many influencers use their platforms to spotlight issues like mental health, LGBTQ+ rights, and racial justice. By sharing their own experiences or amplifying the voices of others, influencers can help bring attention to these issues and encourage their followers to get involved.
We have examples
Influencers are using their platforms to shape social issues. As social media continues to play an increasingly important role in our lives, we have seen the use of such platforms for social good,
- Climate Change: In 2021, Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, who has over 12 million followers on Twitter and over 10 million on Instagram, was invited to speak at a virtual climate summit hosted by US President Joe Biden. Thunberg has been using her platform to raise awareness about climate change and push for action from world leaders.
- Mental Health: In 2020, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle launched their Archewell Foundation, which aims to address a wide range of social issues. One of their initiatives is a partnership with the mental health organisation, BetterUp, which provides coaching and counselling services. The couple has also been open about their struggles with mental health and has used their platform to
- advocate for better access to mental health resources.
- Racial Justice: Following the murder of George Floyd in 2020, many influencers, including actors, musicians, and athletes, used their social media platforms to speak out against police brutality and systemic racism. The #BlackLivesMatter movement gained momentum as people worldwide joined in protests and called for change.
- LGBTQ+ Rights: In 2021, singer-songwriter Demi Lovato came out as non-binary and changed their pronouns to they/them. Lovato has been using their platform to raise awareness about the experiences of non-binary individuals and advocating for greater visibility and acceptance.
Moreover, influencers play a role in shaping social issues by promoting sustainable and ethical practices.
As concerns about the environment and social responsibility continue to grow, many consumers are
seeking out brands that align with their values. Influencers who advocate for sustainable and ethical practices can help educate their followers on these issues and encourage them to make more conscious choices regarding the products they buy.
With power comes the responsibility
Influencers are raising awareness and inspiring their followers to take action. They encourage their audience to donate to organisations, sign petitions, and participate in social movements. In this way, influencers leverage their platforms to motivate people to become more engaged and involved in social issues that affect us all.
However, influencers must also know their responsibility and influence over their followers.
They must be careful not to spread misinformation or promote harmful practices or attitudes. In some cases, influencers have faced backlash for their lack of responsibility, leading to a loss of credibility and trust with their audience.
In conclusion, the role of influencers in shaping social issues cannot be ignored. From raising awareness and promoting sustainable and ethical practices to inspiring action and driving social movements, influencers increasingly use their platforms to advocate for change.
As companies continue to partner with influencers to market their products, we can expect to see more influencers taking on an active role in shaping social issues and promoting positive change. However, influencers need to be aware of their responsibility and use their influence responsibly and ethically.
Ready to make a positive impact in the world?
UPDEED is the place for you. Our free and open platform is filled with inspiring stories from individuals and organizations who are making a difference in their communities and beyond. Connect and collaborate with like-minded individuals from around the globe on UPDEED, and discover your own potential to create meaningful change. Join our community and make a difference.